As COVID-19 cases in Illinois rise, LLCC offers variety of attendance options

Richard Bailey, Editor

Illinois reported a 23% increase in the number of COVID-19 cases this week. However, the Land of Lincoln is not the only state that is experience a spike in numbers. The CDC is reporting a rise in the number of COVID-19 cases around the country despite the availability of vaccine’s. Even more alarming was a statement from the World Health Organization (WHO) saying that the trajectory of the virus was “growing exponentially” as another 4.4 million global cases were reported.

While many restrictions in some states have been lifted and completely left behind by others, only 1 in 5 American’s are fully-vaccinated. For some health officials, like Chief Medical Advisor to the president Dr. Anthony Fauci, see the low number as a looming threat.

“Right now, we have about 60,000 infections a day, which is a very large risk for a surge,” said Dr. Fauci in a spirited exchange with Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio).

The vaccine has been made available to the general public – but many are hesitant with some opting to “see what happens” to those who are among the first to receive it. Domestic travel between states with differing levels of COVID-19 restrictions puts those who have yet to receive the vaccine at risk of infection – that risk grows significantly if the destination is outside of the United States.

Moving forward, Lincoln Land Community College will offer a variety of class types which include in-person, remote, hybrid, online, and flex classes. The differing class types were made available to make sure that students have the opportunity to continue their education as the community continues to work through the pandemic that has kept students away from campus for over a year. To register, students can call 217-786-2292 or online at Logger Central

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) continues to recommend practicing social distancing even if fully vaccinated and the continuation of hand-washing, as well as wearing face masks.