Dance brings back the 1980s

Niko Robledo

A student dances during the 1980s Dance held in the Student Union at Lincoln Land Community College.

Madison Mings, Lamp staff

SPRINGFIELD— On Oct. 13, 2017 the Gay-Straight Alliance went back in time using the Flux Capacitor in our DeLorean to the 1980s for a Totally 80’s dance. The dance was held in the LLCC student union where students could get in with paying $3.00 or bringing 5 nonperishable items for the LLCC food pantry.

There were party lights shining all around the student union, snack tables with fruit trays, cupcakes, soda beverages, and guest dressed in 80s attire. There were round tables that had miniature Slinkys and Rubik’s cubes on them along with glow in the dark necklaces and bracelets for students and glow in the dark balloons with the text “party time” on them with a marble design added decoration to the room.

DJ Yinka from HISO Music Radio was the DJ for the dance playing songs from the 80s like “Rock With You” by Michael Jackson, “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen, and “Straight Up” by Paula Abdul to name a few.

The students that attended the dance were dancing all night long on the floor to the songs that were played. There were two performances, Empefive and LLCC’s dance club: Express Your Seoul, both danced for the crowd.

Terrelle Jackson, President of GSA, spoke on why they held an 80’s dance, “Last year we held a Zombie Prom and wanted to continue with a prom that is inclusive and fun. 80s was becoming freer and sexuality becoming more open and the 80s are fun. There were requests that we have another one with all the fun from the previous prom on campus and it helps with the Food Pantry and income with it.”

The best part of the dance was a hard question for Jackson but he responded with “All the dancing and the diverse group of students and having them meet each other and get to know one another, because they come from all walks of life in humanity and that is the best.”

Jackson really enjoyed all the 80’s songs that played but his favorite of the night was “Forget Me Nots” by Patrice Rushen. I asked him if GSA would have another dance like the previous two, “Yes we will have another dance hands down, a theme with the dance as well because they have been very successful.”  

He also added, “Even though it was held by GSA it was open to the public the dance was not just for students at LLCC, it was also fundraising for the LLCC food pantry which raised $40 in food, $80 in cash and the attendance of this year’s dance was 52 people. I am also thankful for the Student Life and Faculties and the campus for letting GSA hold the 80s-dance event at LLCC.”

I interviewed some of the students that attended about what the best part of the dance was and what their favorite song was that played. GSA’s Vice President, D’Andrea Banger, said the best part was “When I looked up and saw everyone was on the dance floor dancing and being involved with the dance and having everyone come together and be together.”

Sydney McCabe, an active GSA member said, “The best part was seeing the groups without communication enjoy the message of the event and dance.” She added that her favorite song that played was “When Doves Cry” by Prince.

Tiffany Fenner, an LLCC student, danced the night away and said the best part was “How everyone really danced together till our feet hurt.” Her favorite song that played was “Let’s Hear It for the Boy” by Deniece Williams.

Being secretary of GSA the dance to me was a lot of fun and a successful night. I participated in dressing like the 80s and the dance felt like I really transported to that time. Being surrounded by such great people and members of the club was an amazing time. My favorite part of the dance was dancing all night long and my favorite song that played was “Rock With You” by Michael Jackson.

Madison Mings can be reached at [email protected]