Loggers celebrate the Chinese New Year

Emily Smarjesse, Staff Writer

SPRINGFIELD — Erin Yan was reminiscing in the A.Lincoln Commons about her childhood celebration of the Chinese New Year.

The international student from China was holding a couplet with Chinese pictographs that read in English: “All countless homes a new day dawns; old peach wood charms are replaced the new.”

Inside the couplet, Yan said, “The elderly put aside money for the children to give to them on New Year’s but once you are married, you do not receive money.”

The Loggers Activities Board used that tradition from Yan, but instead of money they had meaningful quotes to symbolize the money given to children.

It was part of the celebration of Chinese New Years from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Feb. 16, the date on which China also celebrates the equivalent of the Jan. 1 festivities in the United States.

Students made various items common to the celebration, such as paper crafts and tying knots.

The paper-cutting craft is made to decorate gates and windows, symbolizing best wishes for people getting married. The Chinese knotting is made out of rope or cord, with its own symbolic meaning.

Students also could make Chinese couplets, similar to one made by Yan. The couplets are used in some Chinese cultures, to hang wood on gates of homes warding off evil spirits.

“The LAB helps organize and plan events that benefit the students in an educational way,” said Tristen Gilbert, a LAB member and student at LLCC.

The New Year is celebrated in various ways throughout China. The origin of Chinese New Year started many centuries ago with the fight against a mythical beast called “Year.” In some parts of China, the New Year is celebrated with a mascot beast representing “Year” in the Chinese New Year parade.

Terri Woelfel, a LAB member and an LLCC student, enjoys learning about different cultures and is thankful to have met Yan through the LAB.

“When Yan goes back to China for the summer, she will return with clothes from China for me and Tristen,” Woelfel said.  

Yan, a student at LLCC, is from southern China. Erin Yan’s real name is Yan Yun , and in the United States, it is Yun Yan. 

In China the family name is given first.

When Yan came to the United States, Yan chose an American name, Erin, because it has a sound familiar to Americans, but it is similar in sound to her actual name in China.

Emily Smarjesse can be reached at [email protected]