Doc Roberts’ bench removed for repairs

From LLCC

Dr. John Roberts poses with President Charlotte Warren and former LLCC President Robert Poorman on June 4, 2018, when the bench was dedicated to honor Doc Roberts’ 48-year teaching career. The bench has been removed and sent for repairs because of weather-related deterioration.

Addison Keeley, Assistant Editor

A bench honoring Dr. John Roberts was recently removed because it was in disrepair, having suffered weather-related effects. Officials say it will be repaired and moved to a better location.

The bench was dedicated on June 4, 2018, to the history professor known affectionately as “Doc Roberts.” He was honored at his retirement for his 48 years of teaching at Lincoln Land with a wooden bench and a tree along the walkway to the A.Lincoln Commons.

The history professor began teaching at Lincoln Land in 1966 and retired in 2018. He is the longest-serving employee of Lincoln Land.

“The project to repair and refinish the bench installed in honor of Dr. John Roberts is on the ‘to-do’ list of our facilities staff,” said Lynn Whalen, the chief communications officer of LLCC, adding that its completion is to take place in fall 2021.

Whalen said preparing the campus for the fall semester has stalled time the repairing and relocating of the bench. Once completed, however, the bench is set to be installed in the breezeway area between Sangamon Hall and Sangamon South, which will protect it from further weather damage.

The tree that was planted in Doc Roberts’ honor remains intact in the same place it was planted in, Whalen said.

The act of relocating the bench can be seen as an act honor itself as well as a reflection on how impactful and valued his career at LLCC was.