Loggers Basketball off to a good start

Gracie Schweighart, Staff Writer

SPRINGFIELD — The 2017 – 2018 season is officially underway for the Lincoln Land Community College men’s and women’s basketball teams.  

The men’s team has had a strong start to their season, sitting at a record of 6-2 as of November 25.  

The women’s basketball team, despite many injuries leaving them with only five players at one point, is sitting at a record of 3-3 as of November 20.  

LLCC Men’s Basketball

With a roster of ten freshmen and five returning sophomores, the loggers have not skipped a beat despite having a fairly young team. They began their season with an undefeated record of 5-0, and have been continuing to develop as a team since.  

Sophomore guard Jacob Rueter said the role he played last year on the 2016 – 2017 team gave him the experience that has allowed him to feel more comfortable this year as he has logged more playing time.

“Playing a fairly large role (in the previous season) put me in situations that made me grow as a collegiate basketball player, “ said Rueter.

Sophomore leadership from other returning sophomores Trace Gentry, Jerrid Cosby, D’Aaron Owens, and Dwayne Jacobs will be extremely important as their schedule continues to get tougher.  

“The season is starting to get more difficult and I don’t think we have really been tested,” shared Rueter,  “we need to start figuring out that we will have to come to play every single game in order to win or even compete.”  

Coming off of two losses, the men’s basketball team was able to pull it together as they dominated Robert Morris University – Springfield 100 -72 on Nov. 25.  

“If we can come out every game and play with intensity we should be fine,” finished Rueter.

LLCC Women’s Basketball

This women’s roster is made up of six freshmen and five returning sophomores who have had to overcome many obstacles throughout the first few weeks of their season.  

The Lady Loggers had three key players from last year, Molly Smith, Hannah Cameron, and Hannah Krukewitt were injured prior to the first game of the 2017 – 2018 season. Krukewitt was able to return to the court last week while Smith and Cameron are still on the road to recovery.

The Lady Logger freshmen have had to step up immensely.

“Having three returning starters sidelined with injuries gave the freshmen a chance to step up and prove themselves as key players early in the season,” said Molly Smith, a 5’9 guard from Teutopolis, Illinois.  

Smith played a large role in the 2016 – 2017 season, earning herself conference post-season honors.  

“The transition from high school to college ball is difficult, but our freshmen have made the transition look easy and have done a great job,” said Smith

With hopes for Smith and Cameron to return to the court soon and the freshmen gaining a large amount of playing time in the first few games, the Lady Loggers should have a strong remainder of their season.

The men’s next home game will be Wednesday, December 6th against Lake Land Community College.  

The women’s next home game will be Saturday, December 16th against Illinois Valley Community College.  

Come out and support the men’s and women’s basketball teams!