Bistro Verde offers bites between books

Emily Smarjesse, Staff Writer

SPRINGFIELD — Walking into the Workforce Careers Center on a recent Tuesday afternoon, visitors were bombarded by an appetizing smell.

Feb. 6 was the opening day of Bistro Verde at Lincoln Land Community College. It is a restaurant with freshly-made cuisine, prepared by the culinary arts and baking and pastry students, and managed by the students in the hospitality program.

Baking and pastry students hand make the soft bread served to patrons. Additionally, the menu has five appetizers, four soups and salads, five entrees and daily sweets to choose from.

The Bistro burger “reminds me of a Marriott burger,” said Tess Peterson, an LLCC student who was trying the Bistro on its opening day.

The Bistro burger is $10 and includes a side of choice. Also, they have on the regular menu a vegetable curry dish. This dish is only $9 and topped with vegetables, rice and a spicy sauce.

Beyond the regular menu, the Bistro has specials each day. The kitchen provides choices for those who vegetarian, vegan or having other diet restrictions.

“I had the cajun pasta, and surprisingly, it was better than I expected,” said Zach Weitzel, a baking and pastry student at LLCC. “The Bistro this semester is better than last semester.”

Dewayne Painter, a Lincoln Land student has been at the college for a year and a half and is pursuing his career path in the culinary arts program.

“The Bistro is a great learning experience,” Painter said. The students get to do the cooking, but it is guided by a professional chef.

Riley Camacho, a culinary arts student at LLCC, did not know what he wanted to do until one day his boss pulled him aside and asked him, “Would you like to try out cooking?”

He said he responded, “Yeah, that sounds fun.”

Camacho said that since that day he has been cooking and loving it.

Camacho balances four classes and work, but he is not currently working for Bistro. However, he is part of the Epicurean Club, hosted by LLCC, which raises money to go on trips such as to St. Louis or Chicago.

For anyone wanting to grab a bite to eat, it is highly recommended to make a reservation on Tuesday or Thursday, that way they can head over to Bistro Verde just inside the entryway of the Workforce Careers Center. They don’t do take out, so be sure to stop by. Food is served from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Emily Smarjesse can be reached at [email protected].