New student trustee, president elected

Kate Cook, Staff Writer

Marie Hountondji, former Student Government Association president, was elected as

the new student trustee, representing students on the college’s board of trustees. Tiffany Fenner, the former SGA secretary, was elected to replace Hountondji as president of student government.

Hountondji, originally from West Africa, has been in the United States for five years and has been at Lincoln Land for two years as a science and math major. She also has been a part of SGA for a year.

Fenner is an English major in her second year at Lincoln Land, but this year was her first one involved with SGA.

“We act as a voice for the students,” Fenner said. “If there are any issues or concerns that the students have, they will bring that to the board or the head of the college.”

As the student trustee, Hountondji represents the students while working with the board to give insight about what is happening on campus and what are students facing every day.

As president, Fenner is more focused on the school, any events the students feel they would enjoy academically and socially and to have a good environment where students feel welcome. Fenner works closely with Hountondji and comes together with ideas to benefit the students and the college.

“When you have other students advocating for you, it goes a long way,” Fenner said. SGA also establish programs to benefit students and connects students with information, research, and services that they feel they cannot get from the faculty or staff, she said.

“One of the biggest challenges that SGA faces is communication, not a lot of people know what SGA is or what it is about despite promoting and brainstorming ideas on how to get information to students,” Hountondji said.

Fenner explained: “ At universities, students are wanting to be more involved when they live on campus. With a community college, it can be harder to get the word out when students just come to class, and they are able to leave afterwards.”

SGA has an event on April 21 from 8 a.m-1 p.m. on Lincoln land campus, “Zombie Run” where students can either run from or be the zombies and the proceeds go toward the school food pantry.

Hountondji mentions when they would do an angel tree for the retirement center and added, “We are always trying to host an event with a purpose to benefit the community as well as the college.”

SGA is welcomed by all students and if you are interested in being involved or have issues or concerns you wish to address, meetings are held every Wednesday at 3 p.m. Students wishing to join may speak to current representatives to learn more. The Student Life office is in the Student Union, near the vending machines by Subway.

Kate Cook can be reached at [email protected].