Deters returns to Lincoln Land

Tess Peterson, Lamp staff

Jacob Deters is Lincoln Land Community College’s new Student Engagement Coordinator. Deters graduated from LLCC in 2011 with a music degree. He then transferred to Eastern Illinois University where he earned his bachelor’s degree in General Education in 2013, and his master’s degree in College Student Affairs in 2015.

Deters began his professional career at Illinois Wesleyan University. He was Wesleyan’s Director for Residence Life for two years, and was in charge of residence halls for first year students. Deters decided he wanted a more of 9 to 5 type job since working as a residence director often involved working late hours.

Deters then decided to return to LLCC. He enjoyed his time as a student there, and was active in student life activities.

“I love interacting with students, especially those looking for guidance,” Deters said when asked about his favorite aspects of his job.

He connects students to resources such as Advising and Counseling and the Center for Academic Success. Deters also enjoys helping students find clubs that fit in with their interests. Deters advises clubs and organizations, including the Student Government Association.

“I love engaging with students and finding ways they can share and develop their leadership skills. That is one of my passion areas, leadership development,” Deters said.

He also leads the Diversity and Leadership Program, where he brings in guest speakers and other opportunities for students to develop leadership skills.

Club programming is a big priority for Deters. One of his responsibilities is to advise the Loggers Activities Board to ensure that they use funds wisely and develop programs and events that students are going to enjoy.

When Deters is not working hard at LLCC, he participates in community theatre. He has been involved with the Springfield Muni for over 10 seasons, and has  contributed to the Springfield Theater Center and the Legacy Theater.

Tess Peterson can be reached at [email protected].