LLCC Foundation invites students to nominate their best professors

Regina Ivy, Editor-in-Chief

The LLCC Foundation is now taking nominations for the Master Pearson Teacher Award! This award is for professors at Lincon Land who go above and beyond class lectures and office hours. This award is made possible by Drs Ann and Raymond Pearson, two Springfield physicians who have donated generously to the foundation.

A professor that qualifies for the Master Pearson Teacher Award is a full-time professor who has made a great impact on students learning because of their commitment to teaching.

The last professor to get this award was Jennifer O’Malley, a professor of Biology. She was nominated for her ability to be open and authentic with her students while keeping them engaged with class.

“I am creative,” O’Malley says this is a trait that got her a nomination, “I do try to do a lot of different things when I teach so I’m not just lecturing to my students all the time. I try to make the learning environment as active as possible.”

O’Malley has not taken this win as a reason to sit back and relax, she realizes that there’s still more work to do in the lives of students. “It (the award) has allowed me to create a standard for myself,” she says. “I need to make sure I’m on my A-Game as much as I can be.” She takes this award as an opportunity to keep “being creative” in helping her students learn new information.

Nominations for the next Master Pearson Teacher can be made all the way up to Friday, Feb. 7. Nominations can be made from the Lincoln Land Foundation’s webpage or through Blackboard, in the announcements tab of the homepage.

Receiving this award could be a big honor for a professor, enjoy your time as Master Teacher,” O’Malley says to the next person to share the title, ” be thankful to the students that took the time to nominate you, and go ahead and be proud! This is the time to take that position in the spotlight, so enjoy it while you have the chance.”