Loggers baseball sets high expectations this upcoming spring

Ryan Scott, Assistant Editor

Last season the Loggers finished 38-18 and made it to the college world series. Only ten teams make the college world series. They were voted at 16th in the December preseason poll for this season as well.

On the team’s expectations for the 2020 season Head Coach Ron Riggle “We expect to have a good season. Our goal is to win the region and return to the World Series.”

Both Sophomore Graham Bender and transfer freshman Todd Fowler also expect this team will be in Enid Oklahoma for the College World Series again. Todd Fowler on the Loggers expectations: “I do expect us to go back to Oklahoma for the World Series. Getting to the NJCAA World Series is tough but I am confident that we can go the distance”.

On being ranked in the preseason polls: Bender, “While being ranked is a great accomplishment we go into every season with high expectations ranked or unranked.”

Fowler on being ranked: “When you start a season you always want to have great expectations for the team, but certainly a high ranking does give extra confidence. I believe no matter what the ranking is, we always need to bring that winning mentality to the ballpark every day.”

Coach Riggle also believes that being ranked is an accomplishment but that it doesn’t change what is expected from the team.

The Loggers will start their season in the Russ Matt Tournament in Florida. This is a tournament with many of the top teams in the NJCAA Baseball rankings.

On the tournament Coach Riggle “We have a difficult schedule in Florida. We are looking forward to getting outside and playing baseball. We will be as prepared as we can before we go. Hopefully, we can go outside a few times before we leave. That would be huge for us. The chemistry is good right now and the guys are really working hard and we are excited to get started.”

Fowler, on the expectations in the Florida tournament: “As far as chemistry goes, I think the team has really meshed well with each other on and off the field. I do not think chemistry will be a problem at all. When we get to Florida. I think we will do very well. The competition will be tough, but the team we have this year is full of competitors, so I think we will be well prepared to hit the ground running.”

Graham Bender also believes that the team will be successful in Florida and for the rest of the season. On team chemistry Bender said “As far as chemistry goes this is one of the closest teams I’ve ever been apart of and I don’t think we’ll have any issues”

The Loggers will start their season on February 29th against State Fair Community College in Sedalia Missouri, after that, they will play in much better weather in Florida from March 8th to the 16th.

Conference play will start on the 21st of March and the team’s final home game will be on May 8th. The region 24 tournament starts on May 14th in Normal Illinois. The team clearly has high expectations to make the College World Series for the second straight season.