Softball team hopes for spring season

Ryan Scott, Assistant Editor

In 2019 the Loggers finished the season at 25-24 overall. They began the season 0-10 so they improved in the later parts of the season. They also won many of their games at the end of the 2019 regular season. Their season ended in the third round of the Region XXIV tournament.

On the preseason coaches’ poll, they aren’t ranked though that hasn’t changed the team’s expectations coming into the 2020 season.

The team also has a new head coach for the 2020 season with John Marsaglia retiring and former Logger Softball player and former assistant coach Rachel Wisner is the new head coach.

Sophomore infielder Kourtney Zobrist on her expectations for the season, “Our goal is to repeat conference champions again and make it to Nationals.” Freshman pitcher Megan Behl expects the team to “play as a team and reach our highest potential.”

On expectations for the season, Behl said: “I expect to compete for conference if our team produces well and plays as a team”.

First-year head coach Rachel Wisner expects the team to “compete and play the best softball we can each day.” ” Our team goals include winning conference and making it to Nationals. Lincoln Land has a winning culture and I expect to continue that tradition.”

On the chemistry of the team, Behl believes the team is prepared for the season already “I believe a lot of us have chemistry because most of us have played either together or against each other, whether it be from high school softball or traveling softball over the summer.”

He adds, “I think it enhances the chemistry on the team because most of us have already played against or with each other so we know what each other’s strong points and weaknesses are. Knowing this as a team, we can all work on those points together and achieve our final goal as a team to reach the World Series.” Coach Wisner on practicing indoors and trying to prepare for the season ” We will be as prepared as we can be with practicing indoors before going to Florida, and I believe that my team will be able to make adjustments and learn quickly as we play throughout the week in Florida”

Lastly, on the opening tournament in Florida starting on March 8th Zobrist said: “We plan to do our best and see what needs to be worked on in practice.”

Also, Behl believes that getting outside consistently in Florida will help “It’s a big difference from practicing inside to playing outside on an actual field because you can actually get the perspective of many things outside like where the ball is hit and the accurate distances to where the ball travels.” Coach Wisner on the tournament in Florida “I expect us to compete and grow as a team to prepare us for our season back home.”

The Loggers begin their season on March 8th in Leesburg Florida, their first home game is March 17th and their regional tournament begins May 8th. This is the first season for Rachel Wisner as the head coach, it should definitely be interesting to see how this team does in 2020.