Students push forward with online learning

Social distancing measures have made online learning a family affair for some LLCC students.

Richard Bailey, Assistant Editor

Lizzy Alatorre is not only taking online classes, but she has three younger children who are also on different online learning schedules.

“I do a lot of work at night because most of the day is dedicated to my kids’ remote learning, so I have a really hard time staying on task,” Alatorre said.

She said her instructors have been great during this unique time in her academic career.

“Both my instructors this semester, (Biology Professor Jennifer) O’Malley and (English Professor John Paul) Jaramillo have done a great job with their syllabus and teaching the class,” Alatorre said.

Being sure of the class material, course mission and most importantly knowing how to contact your instructor is paramount to a successful semester.

COVID-19 has changed the way students across the world are learning. Most of us can hear the chime welcoming the arrival of a team member or classmate via Zoom. Something that was once seen as primarily a tool for tech lovers has become a necessity for education. With social distancing measures, school districts across the United States are operating at reduced capacity and shorter school days, others are operating using a mixture of in-class and online learning, and some are only offering online classes.  While that might sound like a dream come true to some, it has caused others to lose some sleep.

Student Cheryl (who declined to give a last name) minced no words when she said: “Well, I hate online learning. I do a lot better in a classroom setting. However, school is always hard when working and raising a child(ren), but you have to make time for everything.”

Since classes at LLCC started again last month, students have handled a mixture of remote and online classes with mixed results.

Returning student Whitney Campbell is not new to online classes, but she admits that it’s not her favorite way to learn.

“I’m an audio learner, so being reliant on the book is harder for me,” Campbell said.

In addition to taking two online courses, Campbell also teaches a few online classes.

Art Professor Thom Whalen said it’s very important to communicate, especially since there is so little communication between instructors and students when they aren’t face to face.

Like most other professors, he has office hours (some virtual), email and phone numbers you can reach them at should any questions or concerns about class material arise.

Another helpful tool for LLCC students will come in the form of a webinar hosted by The Center of Academic Success (CAS) and the Student Success Office. The offices are planning activities to support students during midterm week.  Students should check the Center for Academic Success  website for dates and times.