Spring classes will look much like fall at LLCC

A+typically+bustling+second+floor+of+Menard+Hall+was+empty+with+sign+such+as+this+one-way+sign+on+Monday%2C+Oct.+19%2C+2020.++During+the+pandemic%2C+faculty%2C+staff+and+students+that+visit+campus+must+walk+around+the+floor+clockwise+to+avoid+passing+people+walking+in+the+opposite+direction.+

Richard Bailey

A typically bustling second floor of Menard Hall was empty with sign such as this one-way sign on Monday, Oct. 19, 2020. During the pandemic, faculty, staff and students that visit campus must walk around the floor clockwise to avoid passing people walking in the opposite direction.

Lily Goossens, Lamp writer

Nine months into the COVID-19 pandemic, there remains a lot of uncertainty. Covid-19 could become a persistent crisis, present recurring minor outbreaks, or bring a monstrous wave of new cases. The spring semester is approaching and many may wonder what the spring semester at Lincoln Land Community College will look like as many colleges have chosen to withdraw from in-person classes.

“We expect classes for spring to look similar to fall, a mixture of online, remote, flex, and face-to-face,” said Lynn Whalen, Chief Communications Officer.

Lincoln Land Community College also offered those four class formats in Fall 2020. Health screenings will continue to be required for students entering the campus, face coverings will be worn by students and instructors. Hand-sanitizing stations will also be located at building entrances.

Spring classes start Jan. 9 and end May 13. An early version of the spring class schedule is listed on Logger Central.

Current projections point to having a potential vaccine to protect against COVID-19 by the spring of 2021. However, when a Coronavirus vaccine does become available, it could possibly take a year to restore normalcy.

Some schools have already canceled 2021’s spring break, but at this time it has not been decided whether LLCC’s spring break will be postponed or canceled.

“At this point, 2021 spring mid-semester break is still scheduled from March 6th to March 14th,” said Kyla Kruse, Assistant Director of Public Relations. “That could change if future conditions make it necessary, but the plan now is to keep mid-semester break as scheduled.”

On Oct. 19, the Sangamon County Department of Public Health released that there were 40 new positive cases, with a record of 3,444 total positives in the county since the pandemic began.

“The virus has not yet left us locally,” a health department representative said. “I predict that we will continue to see campus closures due to Covid-19.”

Some experts say persistent testing is imperative to contain outbreaks as the virus can be spread by pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals. While many people are eager to return to some semblance of normalcy, that option is contingent upon people doing their part to protect one another. These are the new realities in higher education as students prepare for the long haul with COVID-19.