Finding balance in remote classes; students struggle with changes

Addison Keeley, Lamp writer

Remote and online learning is harder than learning in person, said Alexis Baker, a third-year student at Lincoln Land Community College.

Baker said professors assign more homework than usual because of the changed format.

“School has become my life at this point,” said Baker, adding she has had to erase weekends from her work schedule and devote all of her downtime toward homework.

Baker says that she does not feel as if the extra work and different format is helping her retain or learn better than when she is in the classroom.

With the new restrictions that have been bound to the education system due to the COVID-19 pandemic, most students have no choice but to adapt to remote or online classes. While students are now given the privilege of taking classes from the comfort of their own home – or wherever they desire to be while using remote and online methods – that does not make it easier for them. The work is not any easier, nor is it easier for students to balance with their life outside of school. Several students at Lincoln Land Community College were interviewed, with them detailing their experience with remote and online learning and whether or not if it has affected their availability.

Not all students are truly struggling with these new methods. Millynee Wood, another third-year college student at Lincoln Land, claims that she has been able to adjust after getting off to a rough start.

Wood said remote and online classes have not affected her availability in a negative way, but rather improved it.

Remote and online learning has helped her plan things more efficiently. Despite not struggling with the new learning methods like several other students are, she said she misses the classroom aspect as well as “talking to people and being around people”  something that as a psychology major, she was looking forward to.

Students are not the only people having issues with remote and online classes as teachers are finding their own difficulties.

Sean Keeley, a Culinary instructor at Lincoln Land Community College, says even though the new learning methods have not interfered with his personal time or availability, he worries for the success of his students in the long run due to them not receiving the “hands-on” experience they need to work in the kitchen.

With the extra work and absence of in-person or hands-on classroom experience, students and teachers have been suffering in different ways at the hands of COVID-19, and most hope it comes to an end soon.