Multicultrural Festival returns to LLCC

Emily Leers

Group decides on food at multicultural event.

Sara Mullen, Assistant Editor

After being canceled last year because of Covid, the Multicultural Festival was able to return to campus Oct. 6, although some concerns remained.

“Our priori

ty is risk reduction,” said Student Engagement Coordinator Kyle Roughan

Roughan, who has only been on the job at LLCC since June 1, has had a few short months to deal with a long list of responsibilities. There are always lots of logistics for any campus activities but add in a global pandemic and a short time frame; things can get pretty overwhelming.

Gallery: LLCC Multicultural Fest Day

You would not know that while talking to Roughan. Sitting at the sign-up table discussing the event, Roughan appeared relaxed and as if his only concern was the imminent threat of rain.

“I got a free shirt,” exclaimed Shelby McCreight, a freshman criminal justice major.

She added that the “DJ was really cool.”

McCreight was waving her T-shirt as she approached the sign-up table for food.

Roughan said the comments are reassuring. He’d been plotting everything out, making sure booths had access to power and water and accounting for the weather, providing tents to cover people from the rain as they wait in line, coordinating space in the A.Lincoln Commons for other booths and a DJ.

Roughan said Jay Kitterman was a big help in coordinate the food trucks and keeping everything in compliance with the Sangamon County Health Department rules.

Kitterman, who used to oversee the hospitality and culinary programs at Lincoln Land, said it was difficult to get vendors to participate in the time of Covid.

Some vendors are under new leadership, and others are still not doing in-person events, Kitterman said.

“So many of the former vendors and participants just weren’t able to come because they didn’t have enough staff,” he said.

The lack of vendors was a huge disappointment.

“Food is the big draw,” Roughan said. “It’s imbedded into our genetic makeup.”

Just as Roughan explained how important food is to individual cultures, a group of students approached the table to sign up and hear about what food is available.

“Collard greens? What is that?” One student asked.

Roughan explained this is the whole point of having the cultural event, to share and experience a variety of cultures to which students may not otherwise have access.

Despite the damp weather and shortage of vendors, the event was successful. A steady stream of participants enjoyed all the multicultural events offered, including food, music, and, best of all, culture.