College publishes annual review

Teresa Brummett, Lamp staff

‘The Review’, a Lincoln Land Community College publication, is available free for students and staff in the Fall semester. In early January, English and art professors collaborate on what students have submitted and choose the best submissions. Those that are chosen are published in the Lincoln Land Review.

‘The Review’ showcases students’ talents. Academic writing, non-fiction, fiction and poetry are all submission options.  Other options are paintings, photographs or digital media art.

Eric Stachera and Cara Swafford, English professors, read all of the writings that are handed in from LLCC students. (EDIT: quote?) Going through all of the essays is a tedious process that takes up to three months, Stachera said.

Students submit their item along with a permission slip online. Then, Stachera and Swafford go through each and pick the winners. From there, corrections are made and each essay is played out so that it will fit properly into the book when printed.

Art submissions are directed to Thomas Whalen. He sifts through them, chooses the best, and lays them out into the book.

Categories include fine art, paintings, photos, other digital media art, fiction stories, non-fiction stories, poetry and academic essays. The deadline for the next issue for submissions is January 21, 2019.

Students chosen to be in The Review receive a congratulatory letter and the newest copy of The Review. Gift cards are handed out to the winners.

This year the speakers were Levi Tucker, Lee Ann Dart, Hannah Anderson, Myesha Davis, Tiffany Fenner and Rashawn Jones.

Jones wrote a essay called The Shadow across America. An emotional story about the definition of equality, and what being free really means to people of color.

The newest edition of the Review can be found in the bookstore and in stands around LLCC.

Teresa Brummett can be reached at [email protected].