Healthy choices exist at LLCC

Apples

Apples

Brandi Carrier, Lamp staff

Proper nutrition plays a vital role in our brains and is necessary for us to function through everyday life.

There has always been a stigma behind school lunches. People tend to view them as the easiest and least expensive choice versus the most nutritious option.

Studies have shown that 1 in 3 high school students consume less than 1 serving of vegetables per day, and students who eat a school lunch are most likely to have two or fewer servings of fruit per day. This is happening because even “tomato paste” can count as a serving of vegetables at schools, even if such a food offers little to no nutritional value.

Many people skip lunch altogether because they are trying to find healthier options.  It actually does more damage to your body to skip a meal rather than trying to make the healthiest option possible.

At LLCC, we pretty much have four options for choices of food which include Quiznos, vending machines, the bistro or leaving campus for a nearby restaurant, which is pretty inconvenient. Let’s examine our options and see what seems to have the most nutritious food.

QUIZNOS: One option at Quiznos could include half of a sandwich with a lot of vegetables so that you feel sustained for a longer amount of time. This could also be paired with an apple for some fiber, or really any salad without dressing, cheese or add ins.

Though those two Quiznos options may not sound as appealing as their higher calorie competitors, your body will thank you for choosing them and they will help you to feel satisfied for a longer period of time. You can also make an exception for a cookie or bag of chips once in a while because balance is important.

BISTRO: The bistro is located in the Workforce Careers Center, and serves salads, soups and more. The Lamp story that is linked here: https://thelamponline.com/6711/showcase/bistro-adds-grab-go-service/ provides more information about bistro menu options and hours of operation.

VENDING MACHINES: The vending machine options are pretty limited, but some healthier choices of food would be granola bars or veggie straws; even snacks like organic or gluten free chips are healthier than regular chips.

I find the most difficult habit to develop for a healthier diet is to avoid soda all together. If I want some caffeine I will usually go for tea, but flavored water and regular water are good options as well.

Nutrition is so vital to not only your physical health, but also your mental health. Taking every step possible to be the best you can be is important, and should be a higher priority in today’s living.

Brandi Carrier can be reached at [email protected].