Christian club president encourages new members to join

Olivia Hoots, Lamp staff

Former student Theo Graff found a place at Lincoln Land that he felt strengthened his Christian faith and made him a better person.

Graff joined the Lincoln Land Community College Christian Student Fellowship during his first semester and he participated in the club for two years, eventually becoming the club’s president.

The club is centered around Christian beliefs from the Bible and growing in a relationship with Jesus.

“If I had to do it all again, I would do it in a heartbeat,” Graff said.

When Graff was starting at Lincoln Land, the Christian Student Fellowship was being revived by adviser Chris Barry, director of retention and student success. According to the club’s website, the fellowship “exists to create an environment where students can encounter God and grow in their faith.”

All students are welcome to attend meetings.

“We do seek to provide a place for those who want to learn about Jesus, the Bible and Christianity,” Barry said. “We also want to provide a place where students who identify as Christians have a place to hang out with other Christians or those who are interested in Christianity.”

Barry said a typical meeting includes something fun, thought provoking and spiritual.

“For example, we might have pizza, play a game to get to know one another, share a scripture and how it applies to our lives and pray as a group for our campus and other needs we have identified,” said Barry.

He  emphasized they never try to make people feel uncomfortable or pressured into doing anything.

Some events that they have done in the past include a ‘Day of Gratitude’ that led into the Thanksgiving time of year and ‘Eggs of Blessing’ to celebrate Easter.

Currently, the club is meeting Tuesdays from noon to 12:45 p.m., with the exception of the second Tuesday of the month. Meetings are in the Student Union where the club hosts pastors for a Bible talk while they prepare their weekly sermons.

The club’s second meeting is on Thursdays from 11 a.m. to noon. They meet in the Logger Lair Conference Room “to get to know new club members, have fun, discuss ways to live our faith while in college and pray,” Barry said.

Students who are interested in the fellowship can contact either Chris Barry or Tommie Lee, a current fellowship member.

Interested students can also text 81010 with the message @jesusllcc to sign up for text messages from the club or visit the club’s website at v.ht/jesusllcc.

Olivia Hoots can be reached at [email protected].