Saved by the bell

Blossom Smith, Lamp Staff

It has taken so long for me to even realize what I want to do. Now that I know the things that I would love to accomplish, I feel so revitalized. It is an amazing feeling claiming my education that I need to properly and altruistically improve societal conditions in many categories.

The first day back in school, I was really nervous. I had so many questions and thoughts racing through my mind. The first issue was the fact that I am a transgendered woman.

I was so worried about what everyone was going to think of me. Do I look good enough? Is this going to be a really miserable time trying to get the knowledge that I need? What if the professor or instructor does not take kindly to me? Am I going to represent the trans community well enough? Are other students even going to talk to me?

Secondly, I worried about things. Am I going to be good enough? Will I make it? What things can LLCC show me in the ways to succeed? Are there any other current students in a similar position to mine? Any with the same interests? So, as you can see, I have the same questions you probably had on your first day.

But on top of it all, I need you all to understand that if you let it, the fears of being trans can exclude you from all the things that make you wonder, or excited, or motivated. Having the power to deflect the stresses of being transgendered is amazingly difficult for some. So I encourage you all to be supportive of anyone “different” because they may be the next thing this world needs.

So far, most of my thoughts and questions have been in vain because my experience here at LLCC has been nothing but amazing. With the faculty that I have interacted with here, I believe there is not a single reason why everyone should not succeed at claiming their education.

I want to especially mention the efforts of the Trio program, Deanne Blackwell and Sara Schuefele, (she definitely went out of her way), to help me when I was needing assistance with long term path solutions. They do an amazing job with the things they do and finding the correct resources for their students.

I also would like to mention Carissa Dubois in admissions. She is a wonderful person, and might I add she would be a great representative of this fine establishment.

I feel blessed to be a part of this community. I truly feel that this fine place for education is definitely the greatest way to begin your educational endeavors. So I hope you all succeed in obtaining your educational needs.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Blossom Smith can be reached at [email protected]